The Birth of A Ninja......

Usually when I have to wait a long time for something it never really turns out the way I imagine it will. However, Monday was the grand exception.
I went to bed late Sunday evening knowing that the next day I would get to hold my son in my arms.
 I was excited but nervous. Praying for a swift surgery with no complications.
There were minor shades of fear and anxiety. 
A sense of trepidation knowing that in a few hours I would be cut open and my son pulled from my womb.
But, I prayed on it and gave it entirely up to God and took a deep breath.
When I woke up Monday, I felt a sense of calm and a bubbling of excitement. 
Today was THE day, our little man was on his way!
We arrived at the hospital in barely enough time for our 10:30am check in and were quickly pointed to the 3rd floor labor & delivery unit of St. Jude medical center.
I changed into a gown and then was quickly hooked up to several monitors and machines.

The nursing staff was absolutely lovely and made everything go smoothly. 
One of the L&D nurses and I began chatting about my love of crafting & projects and she asked if I knew about Pinterest and of course I said yes and showed her my subway art project from my phone.
My husband just shook his head in disbelief.
The next thing I knew it was time for me to go into the OR and get my spinal.
That's about the time I started to have some anxiety. I knew what was going to happen but was still carrying some nerves around about it so I said a quick prayer and waddled down the hall.
Being the amiable person I am,  the anesthesiologist and I chatted it up about a variety of subjects from Sweet Pea to how D and I met. 
There was Bossa Nova music playing and then my body went numb.
With my body splayed on the table completely exposed they brought in D and pulled up the curtain.
 It was time.
Talk about surreal, I remember laying there, talking to D trying not to panic and listing off all of the people who needed to be contacted immediately and then the next thing I knew I heard a squeal.
At 12:47pm my little man, Carson Riley entered the world and our lives were forever changed.

Once he was cleaned up Carson was whisked away to the recovery unit with D right by his side. After they put me back together again I would join them.
We were to scheduled to be in recovery for approximately 2hrs. 
That turned into just under 3 due to the computer systems being down earlier in the day. 
Once we were cleared to leave, the three of us and our nursing escorts made our way to the maternity ward.we barely got to the elevators when suddenly lights began to flash, sirens wailed and "code pink" was screeched across the intercom. Due to the earlier computer glitch, we had inadvertently set off the baby lo-jack alarm system. 
Elevators were locked down and security rushed on the scene demanding to see bracelets and the baby.
Of course I found it hilarious that we would be the ones to set off the alarms, but I was also heavily medicated so there's not a lot that wasn't funny to me.
We were finally able to get upstairs to the Maternity Unit and once we got settled in our room we had about 5 minutes of alone time before the family came in.
I was so happy to see my Sweet Pea and introduce her to her baby brother.
She had a grin from ear to ear and I had to fight back the tears seeing her hold him for the first time.

All I could think was "I have TWO babies now! How did this happen!?"
She was followed by my mother, my mother-in-love, and D's grandmother.
Then came two of his sisters, his niece and two nephew's.

Everyone was overjoyed to meet the newest edition to our family.
During all the hoopla I got a bit nauseous and dry heaved (causing one of my sisters-in-loves to vacate the room with a quickness) but quickly recovered.
The rest of the evening is a bit of a blur as I was somewhat out of it due to the drugs.
I do recall finally throwing up (God-bless my husband who handled it like a champ) and sipping ginger-ale for the rest of the night.
It was a rough night as I was still hooked up to the IV, had a catheter and the compression wraps on my legs.
However, our nurse was A-MAZING and a huge help.
The nursing staff at St.Jude was pretty awesome in general to honest. 
We could not have asked for a better experience.
The next two days were filled with visits from loved ones, vital signs being checked, and staring into the face of our newborn love.

I never thought I could love another the way I do my Sweet Pea.
It was hard for me to imagine feeling that way about another child and I suppose for a time I wouldn't allow myself to think that I could.
But I am so happy I did.
I am completely enamored with this kid. 
Cannot get enough of his sighs and caresses.
I stare at his face incessantly as though I am afraid this was all a dream and I will wake up and he will be gone.
Fortunately - this is my life now.

And I couldn't be happier.


  1. I absolutely love your birth story. The part that really struck me was how you wondered if you would love your newest child as much as you did Sweet Pea. That is a concern of mine too. But you're proof that God makes enough room in our hearts for everyone!


Post a Comment

I want to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Light, Love & Laughter: Some Notes On My Rosé Birthday

Pilates: A Life + Body Changer